Please note; The Action Pistol Range is a restricted range. In order to use the range you must be a certified Safety Officer in one of the action pistol sports or be under the supervision of a Safety Officer.
The Action Pistol Bay is multi-purposed:
- Provide a place to practice for NWCSA members who compete in sanctioned Action Pistol Matches (USPSA, IDPA, ICORE and NRA Action Pistol)
- Host matches per USPSA, IDPA, ICORE, and NRA Action Pistol organizations
- Conduct supervised practice sessions for NWCSA shooters for the purpose of improving skills and introducing new shooters to the sport
IDPA Matches at NWCSA
The International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) is the governing body of a shooting sport that simulates self-defense scenarios and real life encounters. Our matches are conducted following IDPA rules.
Action Pistol Pit 2 Complete!
Thanks in part to a grant from the NRA we have constructed a second action pistol pit. This has enabled us to host twice as many shooters, with more stages, and in less time.
Not to start. You can shoot in 3 matches before being required to join IDPA. IDPA membership cost is $40/year. Visit IDPA website for more info.
You should attend if you are curious about action pistol sports and want to try it in a low pressure environment. Or perhaps you are competitor looking for a Saturday match. Either way it is a lot of fun.
Matches are open to the shooting public.
NWCSA member or non-member – $20
Matches are held in the action pistol pit (on top of hill by trap range) on the first and third Saturday of the month from 9AM to 2PM and run from April to October. See the club calendar for actual dates.
It is very important be able to safely draw and handle the firearm you will be using. This is not a ‘learn how to shoot’ course. You must already have put in the hours at the range and are now ready to take it to the next level. Also, if you have never shot an action pistol type event we require you attend one of our orientation workshops. This free, 1-2 hour orientation will familiarize you with range protocols, equipment, safety considerations, IDPA rules, etc. Anyone not meeting this criterion will not be allowed to shoot.
Here’s a list of the essentials:
- Center fire pistol or revolver. 9mm or 38 special minimum, no magnum calibers.
- Holster that covers the trigger guard ‐ this is a MUST.
- The holster may be inside or outside the waistband. Serpa holsters are not recommended and Apendix draw holsters are not allowed.
- At least three magazines or speed loaders, preferably 4.
- 100 rounds of ammunition minimum.
- Concealment garment ‐ a shirt or jacket that completely covers your holster is fine.
- Eye and ear protection.
- A commitment to SAFE SHOOTING and a GOOD ATTITUDE